Kidneys are the two bean-shaped organs that reside just below your rib cage on either side of the spine. Creatinine is a waste product which is is removed from the body by the kidneys. Usually, the kidney expels out ‘bodily wastes’ by clearing our blood, but unable to do so in some cases, which if not treated might cause a threat to the body.
With the use of Hand, yoga mudras practitioners can get relief from the persisting situation of kidney disorder. Some mudras can also enhance the functioning of the kidneys. A regular practice towards various hand mudras given below might be beneficial.
Working of Mudras & Kidney
Kidneys are the major organs for waste elimination in the human body. Our day to day activities whether eating or drinking affects our crucial organ responsible for waste management.
According to Ayurveda, there are three doshas, Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. To have a healthy body these three work together in a synchronized manner. However, Any of the disorders is the result due to an imbalance in doshas.
Kidney problems are concerned with the Kapha, whose uncertainties leads to various problems. An imbalance in the Apana Vayu affects the ability to retain urine and its excretion. So, one can face many problems if doshas are not in the harmony.
By practicing Hand mudras practitioners can cure imbalance in their doshas, which further promotes the efficient functioning of kidneys. Mudras channelize the prana flow, which regulates various aspects of the body, including doshas.
Therefore, the practitioner can have healthy kidneys if he/she practices these hand mudras regularly;
- Kidney Mudra
- Shankh Mudra
- Apana Mudra
1. Kidney Mudra
Kidney mudra also known as “Kapha Nashak Mudra” or “Mutrashay Mudra”.
‘Mutrashay‘ means the ‘Urinary bladder’. As the name suggests, practicing this mudra regulates the functioning of the urinary system by maintaining the urine output from the kidneys.
Kidney mudra involves the ring finger (related to earth element) and little finger (related to water element) which are pressed by the thumb (having fire element). Therefore, this mudra decreases the water and earth elements by the application of the fire (Thumb) element in the body. In this way, it helps in the condition of frequent urination in persons having kidney problems.
How To Do?
By going for any sitting posture like Sukhasana (Easy Pose), place both hands on the thighs. Straight up your back and find balance here. Now, place your ring and little finger at the base of the thumb finger and cover both these fingers with your thumb. Keep your fingers in kidney mudra for a minimum of 20 minutes to get the optimum results.
As Kidney mudra decreases the water element, the practitioners who are in the need to retain water in the body can practice Varun mudra along with this mudra to balance the water element in the body.
Practicing meditation in Kidney mudra cultivates fruitful benefits in terms of calming the mind, Smoothness to the Nervous System. However, it positively affects the mood of a person after the accomplishment of the practice.
- Apart from curing kidney-related diseases, Kapha nashak mudra is proved to be helpful in throat pain and phlegm formation.
- Kidney mudra cures the diseases caused by the excess of Kapha as it generates heat in the body, which reduces the Kapha. Therefore, this mudra is also known as Kapha Nashak Mudra.
- Kapha nashak mudra opposes the formation of kidney stones in the body.
- Also, provide relief from excessive urination and infection related to the urinary tract, respectively.
2. Shankh Mudra
Shankh Mudra is the gesture of ‘Subtle vibrations’. This represents the conch shell, which on being played creates a sound that not only affects the surrounding but the biochemistry of our body as well.
Now you are thinking that How sound can cure diseases? well, there’s plenty of Researches proving the hidden quality of sound capable to heal a human body.
Shank mudra deals with the subtle energies of the body, which becomes charged on practicing it. This regulates the prana toward the organs needing them the most. In this way, it heals the defective kidney and its disorders.
How To Do
Sit in Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose). Now, bring your hands to the heart chakra. Place your left thumb in the right palm and wrap the four fingers of your left hand around the left thumb. Afterward, covering up the right wrapped four-finger with the four fingers of the left hand. Lastly, touch the tip of the left middle finger to the right thumb of both hands at the top of the mudra. Maintain here for 20 minutes and then relax.
Regular practicing of this mudra under the guidance of the certified yoga guru results in stimulation of the Vishuddhi (Throat) Chakra. This further grants the practitioner’s ability to self-express and to be a better communicator.
Excess of fire element sometimes causes inflammation, dryness of skin, and some cases hyperacidity. These changes to the body could be fatal for the inner organs of the body. Therefore, shank mudra practice is the best ever practice due to its calming effect over the fire element.
- Due to the involvement of Vishuddhi Chakra in Shank mudra practice, it stimulates the thyroid gland which further helps in various functions of the body i.e., Body growth.
- It helps in overcoming throat infections like tonsillitis etc. However, it also improves the voice and makes it sweeter.
- Apart from curing kidney disorders, this mudra eradicates digestive issues as well.
- Shank mudra regulates the metabolism as well, which ensures the removal of Creatinine in the Urine.
3. Apana Mudra
Apana Mudra is the seal of ‘Waste elimination’, whose regular practice helps in the removal of the wastes from the body. It also expels out the negative energies polluting a healthy body environment.
Major organs for waste elimination are located in between the navel and the perineum. This mudra regulates the functioning of these organs as it posses the pressure points that end in the concerning element. Therefore, Apana mudra also cures the condition of kidney stone, bladder stone, urinary tract, and rest of the excretory organs.
How To Do
Simply sit in an open place with a comfortable sitting posture Padmasana (Lotus Pose), Siddhasana (Accomplished Pose). Now, place your hand on your thighs. From here, fold your ring and middle finger, and touch the tips of this two-finger to the tip of the thumb. Maintain the posture for a minimum of 20 or a maximum of 30 to 45 minutes, then relax.
Apana mudra meditation is the technique where a practitioner combines mudra with meditation in a single practice. This is believed to be very effective in managing the internal energies responsible for the working machinery of the human body.
Apana mudra can be also practiced along with the pranayama like Kapalbhati, Bhastrika, Anulom-vilom. However, It also promotes deep and effective breathing, which is also responsible for the elimination of waste in the form of Carbon dioxide.
- Apart from curing kidney and other excretory problems, this mudra also helpful in reducing the effect of diabetes.
- Practicing this mudra promotes the delayed delivery of a child. However, it also helps in the days of menstruation.
- Apana mudra cures the problems related to skin eczema, pimples, psoriasis, and promotes glowing and clear skin if practiced regularly.
- Right practice of this mudra results in the stimulation of the Manipura chakra. This enhances the gut feeling, confidence, and develops a sense of connection to the outer world.
Other yoga practices for kidney stones
- Asanas for kidney stones – Vajrasana, vyaghrasana, ustrasana, kati chakrasana, merudandasana.
- If one has expertise Shatkarma techniques, Agnisar kriya and Shankhaprakshalana are considered best to eradicate kidney stones.
The ongoing lifestyle and food habits are somewhat futile for our body to function properly. Kidney impairments are one such result in the long run. However, one can reduce these habits or lifestyle by incorporating some changes in the day to schedule. But the situation is pretty dramatic in the sense to initiate the process of change from the beginning.
Therefore, to ease up the conditions of various kidney problems. Hand mudra practices can be helpful. By application of some positions to the fingers, one can do wonders for thyself.
So, hand mudras are advisable in any kind of kidney and other excretory organs relate disorder for better recovery.