Once you feel safe and secure after having a balanced Root Chakra, you become more concerned about your identity as ‘you’ and need something to get involved in. At this point, the role of sacral chakra comes into the play and we tend to flow towards emotions and pleasures in life.
When we start building our fantasy world with the help of mental and intellectual faculties, understand that second chakra energy is dominated within us.
Mostly in boys, this chakra energy dominant between 7-14 and in girls, the 6-12 period of life.
Sacral Chakra: The Energy Centre of “I”
In the series of 7 chakras, Sacral Chakra is the second energy center from the bottom to top, also known as “Swadhishthana” in Sanskrit.
Sanskrit term Swadhishthana is made up of two root words, ‘Swa’ and ‘Adhishthana’.
“Swa” means ‘self or I-sense’, and
“Adhishthana” means to ‘Place’.
Hence, 2nd chakra decides what place you hold for yourself in every aspect of life, whether it’s in family, friend circle, or any other community out there.
In short, Swadishthana energy makes you realize your individual identity among the crowd. In other contexts, this chakra also means, “Home of Life”.
The element of water governs sacral chakra characteristics. Likewise, water flows in all possible direction where it kept, emotions, pleasures, and creativity start appearing in all aspects of a person’s life when sacral chakra energy found in balanced proportion.
Other names by which sacral chakra is known – Spleen Chakra, Splenic Chakra, and Orange Chakra.
Sacral Chakra in Detail
To understand the heart chakra in detail, we need to acknowledge and know more about the following aspects:
1. Location of Sacral Chakra
The physical location of the sacral chakra is in the pubic area just below the hairline of the pubic section & about two inches below the navel.
As sacral chakra is located just below the Pubic section; hence, your legs, Gonads, and Reproductive organs are associated with this Chakra. The Sacral Chakra is also connected with the Lumbar Plexus, kidneys and urinary system.
2. Orange Colour significance
Situated at the centre of our body, sacral chakra represents our state of joy, delights, compassion for others & that’s why its energy radiates in the orange colour spectrum. The colour is slightly brighter than the colour of Root chakra due to its relation with internal bliss and satisfaction.
This lustrous orange colour signifies how you attach with people through intimate or friendly connections. This radiant colour also indicates your ability to gaze inwards and be aware of the outer world. You can perceive the energy others reflect upon you once you awake this Chakra.
3. Sacral Chakra Symbol
Sacral chakra symbol has the following components.
- Crescent Moon Within Circle – Crescent moon in sacral chakra symbol is a representation of female energy.
- Circle – Circle is the representation of the water element (Jal Tattwa) present in our body.
- 6 Lotus Petals – Lotus petals which are connected at the periphery of the circle in sacral chakra are the representation of cyclical nature of birth, death & rebirth.
The element (Tattwa) of this Wheel is Water represented by a crescent moon inside the circle.
The Sacral Chakra is the second junction where energy channels (Nadis) converge at the pelvic area. Being located at the central part of our Pubic region, Swadhisthana represents a symbol of an upturned crescent moon indicating the vital force.
The second Chakra signifies our emotions, sensuality, pleasure, and connections. This Wheel influences our deepest of feelings, emotions, empathy, joys, and sexual desires.
4. The Energy Frequency and Seed Mantra
Being second in the order, this chakra consists of higher energy level and is represented by 6 number of Lotus petals. At the balanced state, this Chakra vibrates at 288 Hz frequency
“Vam” is the seed sound (Bija Mantra) that resonates the Sacral Chakra. This sound is considered a healing chant in case you face experience the disturbance of Sacral Chakra.
Balanced Sacral Chakra
When you have a balanced state of Swadhishthana Chakra:
- You can feel the inner and outer world with a stable and prosperous life.
- You are active in sexual activities and find confidence while seeking pleasures.
- You tend to find every relationship joyful and blissful.
- Your immune system is soothed because of the balanced state thence.
Imbalanced Sacral Chakra & Its Causes
Imbalanced Sacral Chakra can be identified with the following symptoms.
- Physical Symptoms: You start experiencing Back Pains, Dysfunctional reproductive organs, Sudden Pain in the lower abdomen while sex, Kidney Troubles and urinary problems when Sacral Chakra is not tuned or out of balance
- Psychological Symptoms: Guilty feeling about sex, Confusion about own-feelings, excessive emotions, obsession, emotional dependency, and Addictive Behaviour.
An imbalance in Sacral chakra can be characterized either by a lower flow of energy (Underactivity) or a higher flow of energy (Overactivity).
1. Underactive Sacral Chakra
Your Underactive or Deficient State of Sacral Chakra can be identified when:
- You feel disinterested in sexual activities due to lack of energy.
- There is a feeling of rejection and fear.
- You lack confidence in expressing your emotions.
- You feel less creative or of no significance.
2. Overactive Sacral Chakra
Your Sacral Chakra is in the Hyper State/Overactive if:
- You feel your behaviour obsessive about a particular hobby or pleasure.
- You become overly dependent on others emotionally and sexually.
- Your emotions are aggressive and out of control.
- You are too attached to someone in a relationship.
What Causes Sacral Chakra Imbalanced?
When energy flow through Sacral Chakra is hampered or blocked, you can identify its causes as:
- A toxic relationship in the past.
- Repetitive abuse in the relationship.
- Disconnected with water bodies, or consuming less water than required, or dehydration (the core element of this Chakra is Water).
Get Your Sacral Chakra Energy Balance
Yoga fuses its ancient techniques to balance up the spinning wheels. You can control the excessive or deficient state of Orange Chakra by practising the following methods.
1. Meditation for Sacral Chakra
While meditating, sit with averting your energy towards the central part of your lower abdomen. Think orange (since the Sacral Chakra is tied to Orange colour) and water (a core element of Swadhishthana Chakra).
Considering that in whatever you do, your motive is to bring yourself peace and inner joy. Meditate by relaxing not on focusing; focusing means, you are stressing on something.
Embrace and let go while chanting the Bija Mantra that vibrates with Orange Chakra.
2. Sacral Chakra Mantra
Frequently chanting the seed sound “Vam” while meditating helps you vitalize the state of your Sacral Chakra. This Seed Sound (Bija Mantra) is directly associated with the frequency of the Second Chakra.
Continuous chants of this Mantra helps you vitalize your sexuality, creativity, and encourages you to participate in pleasure activities. You directly influence the functions of Sacral Chakra by reciting this Seed Sound aloud and internally.
3. Mudras to Activate Sacral Chakra
Mudras in yoga are simplest exercise to redirects the blocked energy patterens within the body.
Shakti Mudra and Usha Mudra help activate the Sacral Chakra. These Mudras (Hand Gestures) stabilize the imbalance caused by several factors. Usha Mudra pacifies creativity and sexuality. Shakti Mudra is practised to enhance your physical and mental wellbeing hence focusing on inner strength.
Now combine Meditation, Mudra, and Chant along the Mantra to see you transform.
4. Yoga Poses for Sacral Chakra
There is specific Yoga Poses you can practice to energize or balance your Disturbed Sacral Chakra. Each of the asanas depicted below has a particular purpose and affect different functioning of your body organs associated with the Second Chakra.
See More: Complete Guide to Yoga Asana
(1) Open-Angle Pose (Upavistha Konasana):
This pose is famous as Wide-Angle Seated-Forward-Bend-Pose. It helps stimulate the groin area, abdominal organs, and detoxifies Kidneys.
Affecting the core of your body, Upavistha Konasana helps your spine strengthen and activates your core muscles.
(2) Goddess Pose (Utkata Konasana):
This Sacral Chakra Pose is also known as Fierce Angle Pose or Victory Squat Pose. This Asana is related to your abdominal and spleen functions.
The Goddess Pose helps you stimulate your reproductive organs and activates the flow of prana through the Blocked Sacral Chakra. It boosts fertility among women and eases contractions during childbirth.
(3) Frog Pose (Mandukasana)
Mandu referring to Frog, Asana to Pose is practised to awaken the Sacral Chakra. Leading you to Pure Consciousness, Mandukasana strengthen your lower back, improves blood circulation through your hips to provide stability to your lower abdomen.
The Frog Pose is also beneficial for reducing excessive amounts of fats from your belly and improves the function of Liver and Kidneys.
(4) Pigeon Pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasna)
The Pigeon Pose (One-legged-King Pigeon) is centred on your Lower back and Hips area. This asana, associated with your lower stomach organs, helps stimulate your stomach muscles.
It also help improvise your weak digestion system when your Sacral Chakra is out of order. You are distance away from urinary disorders and back-related pains if you regularly practice this posture.
(5) Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
This Asana helps you channelize your energy towards Sacral Chakra. Trikon means triangle in which you practice forming a triangular posture.
This pose helps you eliminate back pain, strengthen your pelvic region, and boosts the functioning of your reproductive organs. Drawing your energy inwards, Trikonasana reduces gastric troubles, indigestion, and strengthen muscles of the lower body.
5. Stones for Sacral Chakra
In a deficient or hyperactive state of your Sacral Chakra, wear Orange Calcite, as it is directly associated with your sexual energy and playfulness.
Carnelian Stone is helps boost your creativity, compassion, and gives you courage. Citrine also possesses the same characteristics as that of carnelian stone and contains cleansing qualities to prevent blockage of Sacral Chakra.
You can wear Moonstone for its soothing and emerging properties in the case of hyperactive state and underactive of Second Chakra.
6. Food to Balance Sacral Chakra
Since the Wheel depicts the second element, water and is orange in colour, feed yourself watery vegetables, like watermelons, muskmelons, cucumber, Pine Apples, Oranges, Mangoes, etc. Try Cinnamon, Vanilla, and sesame seeds for spices to tune up your abdomen and neighbouring parts.
Affirmations to Vitalise imbalanced Sacral Chakra
In the end, speak these affirmations as a reminder to yourself:
- I value my body
- I am peaceful inside and outside
- I feel compassion and pleasure
- I embrace my sexuality
- I am creative and full of desires
- I allow myself to connect indifferently
- Every relationship is full of joy.
- I stay connected with my feelings.
If you haven’t been to any water sighting, do it now because that is what disturbs your Sacral Chakra. Most likely, Lack of water in your body leads to urinary and bladder-related troubles, ultimately misaligning the second chakra. Taking a walk to the riverside, seashore, or a lake will help you indeed.